Sunday, March 3, 2013

Pets Are Human Too!


Pets Are Human Too!


Life's Lessons

Have you ever had an animal that touched your heart? Most of us had. The sad thing is that most of our pets have life spans much shorter than us. To lose a loved pet is one of the most difficult things one can endure. But, the sadness of the loss can be somewhat overcome by the joy found in acquiring a new one. They are never a replacement, for each are their own in personality and habit. And, there are times, they can each teach us valuable lessons.




Jiminy Cricket & Peanut Butter
My father looked at dogs as necessary critters to bark when someone was coming up the driveway. He wasn’t in to special breed dogs. Thought they were just a waste of money! So, growing up, the Heinz 57 variety were my companions.
Jiminy Cricket was my first. I remember rolling in the grass and wrestling with him as he’d lick my face and playfully nip at my hair. All he wanted was attention and something to eat in return. I can’t tell you the hours spent with this best friend of mine as he would listen intently to all my secrets and fears. He was a true friend!
Jiminy had a habit of leaving the yard and chasing the chickens that my neighbor down the road raised. One day, the neighbor came over with a story that still makes me wonder. He said that there’d been a dog caught killing his chickens. He’d taken his gun and shot the attacker. He added that he didn’t realize it was our dog until after the deed was done.
I felt as though my world had ended. My best friend was gone. I looked at his empty doghouse in the yard and burst into tears. The rest of that day was spent at the doghouse, remembering the good times we’d had, and telling his spirit how sorry I was and how much I missed him. It was my first dealing with death.
Peanut Butter was his replacement. I was having a hard time getting over Jiminy’s death, so my dad walked in with a light tan and brown splotched puppy about a week later. I gave my love to that dog and quickly grew to cherish his curiosity and energy. He had a bad habit of which he couldn’t be broken…he chased cars. After only six months of friendship, I watched him rush onto the county road and fall underneath the rear tire of a pick-up truck. I ran to him as he took his last breath. Again, death had taken a loved one.




Tramp

Tramp was my last dog and perhaps, my best. I got him about six months after losing Peanut Butter. My dad had decided that dogs were more trouble than they were worth after the fit I threw when Peanut Butter had been killed. Only after much talking to my grandparents, in getting them to influence my father, did Tramp come into my life.
Named after Tramp in the Disney film “Lady And The Tramp”, he and I grew up together. His tail never stopped wagging when I walked outside. His love for me knew no boundaries.
One day, a black racer surprised both of us as we were sitting at his doghouse. Neither of us saw it until it raised its body and crawled over my extended legs. Tramp strained at my grasp to attack it and protect me. Yet, I didn’t want to lose him like I had the others. I held his collar as he pulled and growled and raised on his hind legs attempting to pursue the serpent. Finally, it had crawled on. Tramp put his front legs over mine to protect me immediately afterwards as I sat petting him, both recognizing the love we each had for each other.
Tramp was my sounding board when I lost my mother at age 13. Only a couple of months later, he again played that role as I had just witnessed my best friend’s death as the bike he was riding crumpled underneath a speeding car. I don’t know what I would have done if Tramp hadn’t of been there.
Years passed and life changes. Sports, girlfriends, dating, college…Tramp was left at home and I was out and about. Still, the few moments we were able to spend together always found a wagging tail and love.
I came home from the military on leave one year, arriving before my father had gotten home from work. I went out to the doghouse and it was empty. I called for Tramp, but there was no wagging tail and barking coming my direction. I hoped he was simply off somewhere playing. I’ll never forget the sadness and guilt I felt when my father got home and told me that Tramp had passed on. I still can see him through the tears that the memories bring, wagging his tail, tongue hanging off to the side as he jumped up to greet me.
Demetrius -  Demon Eyes, Bashful and in constant need of attention
Demetrius - Demon Eyes, Bashful and in constant need of attention
Eurydicina -  Fat, Sassy and Loving.
Eurydicina - Fat, Sassy and Loving.
Faletame -  All grown up.  "What do you mean you're taking my picture?  I just woke up, I'm Not Ready!"
Faletame - All grown up. "What do you mean you're taking my picture? I just woke up, I'm Not Ready!"
Okay!  I'm ready now!  Don't chop off my ear!  Remember last time... you chopped off my ears!  DON'T CHOP OFF MY EARS!
Okay! I'm ready now! Don't chop off my ear! Remember last time... you chopped off my ears! DON'T CHOP OFF MY EARS!

A Final Word

After Tramp, I found myself living in apartments. I was offered a cat and found it to be another great friend. Unlike most, I haven’t witnessed one that won’t give you love if you give it love.
Aviatar, Black Wolf, Antonius, Bernadette, Caladonius, Demetrius, and Eurydicina have all left me as I enjoyed their love from kitten to elder. Usually, I’ve had two at a time (especially since I have a wife that doesn’t mind cleaning the litterbox). I could talk for hours about their individual quirks and personalities. They all hold a place in my heart.
Now, as discussed in another hub, I have Faletame. I was trying to decide which kitten I wanted one night after losing Demetrius. My friend had pulled three from the litter to choose from. I said, “Who wants to come home with me?” Faletame raised his head and eyes at me and took a few steps in my direction while the other two played with each other. We’ve been best buddies ever since!
Not only does he act like a dog (*see previous hub on “Distractions”) but he has one habit that has never changed from the first night he became king of the house. He will crawl in my lap, climb up my chest, and cuddle his head under my neck, while he stretches his left leg and paw around the right side of my neck, holding on as a baby might. He’s much bigger now, and much heavier, but I don’t mind. It’s love we can share and memories to cherish.
Some might call me a “softie” when it comes to animals. Others can’t understand why I hold animals of all types above some of the people I’ve had to deal with over the years. It’s simply beyond them.
But, from as far back as I can recall, animals have always been a part of my life. Now, you won’t find me cuddling any of the venomous snakes or alligators I’ve either owned or dealt with over the years, but, they too, are all a part of God’s plan. Everything has it’s purpose. We should appreciate that fact and learn from them.
I’ve learned how to experience love, devotion, happiness and death from the pets. I’ve learned that you get what you give. They’ve taught me the value of loyalty. Pets ARE human, too!
And there’s Tramp, wagging his tail!

©Copyright RCRUMPLE2012. All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment