Sunday, March 31, 2013

Journey Upwards (Fantasy)


Source: freestockimages.com
(This morning, I challenged myself to write, edit and publish a hub in 120 minutes. This is what turned out. I probably could've used another 30 minutes.)
I was flying. Soaring high in the air with no wings or plane or helicopter or aircraft of any type! Zooming through the air as a superman clone, flying high above the ocean one moment, and then over land and the great cities of the world the next. Ahead, a jetliner rolled to the left to avoid the oncoming collision. An unnecessary maneuver, for I could guide myself with ease and accuracy.
Source: microsoft.com/images
Advertising Space - After your Hub is published advertisements may be placed in this space.
There was no chill nor heat to be felt. I wondered how this could be. Logic would tell me that the wind would freeze me at this supersonic speed, or that the velocity of my flight would burn me to a cinder. Yet, here I was, rising higher and higher above the Earth’s surface, feeling neither.
The dampness of the white cotton balls dried immediately upon passing through. From blue to white to blue in a flash of a second. There was darkness looming ahead. Never-ending, it presented a vast array of possible skyway avenues upon which to travel. All I had to do was to choose.
Source: Freestockimages.com
Source: micorsoft.com/images
Unbearable silence consumed my existence. Deeper and deeper into the Broadway of Starlight’s ahead, I veered towards the closest attraction, the Moon. Here a flag still held its stoic pose from years before, a historic feat for man, yet, only a walk across the street for me. Other items of technology past were covered in the moon surface’s coating, too deeply to make out their purpose. What purpose? They were now only pieces of trash resting and waiting for time to dispose of their shape and structure. Useless.
I dove, running my hand along the surface, moon dust rising and lingering in the lack of gravity. I encircled this dead orb, wondering how it had come to be, and how long it would remain. The multiple craters certainly had wounded and scarred this perfect ball of rock and dust. Perhaps fatally not so many centuries ago. How long before the rock completely turned to dust and dissolved entirely?
Source: Freestockimages.com
Source: microsoft.com/images
As I circled a second time, I left the side furthest from the Earth to see our planet facing me. The combination of blue vastness, littered with land masses filled my vision. There, hidden under the misty swirling whiteness of a massive covering of clouds, was my home. A place I remember not leaving this morning.
“Wait” I told myself. Voices of reason and logic suddenly stormed the battered insides of my skull. This was not a possibility, only an impossibility! No reality here! How am I flying? How am I breathing? Why has my body not shriveled in this vacuum of emptiness? Then, only blackness remained!
Source: Freestockimages.com
Source: microsoft.com/images
No more thoughts! Only an explosion of bursting sound destroying my existence. I could feel my body throbbing with pain! I was being dissolved as I had imagined the moon to be in the future. My outer coating had consumed my internal pieces and nothing had survived to keep me as one. I was falling, falling further and further as I grew smaller and smaller, body particles escaping with each passing second. My fate had been sealed.
I opened my eyes to a glowing orb shining its brilliance, forcing me to shield my vision from its rays. My ears were somewhat swollen and tender as I touched them wanting to find the item of such agony. Ah, the earphones were still in place and still attached to my I-Pod. Slowly, I removed them from their anchors of soreness. As my senses slowly returned, I recognized my plight and made myself a solemn vow.
Source: Wikipedia.org

Major Tom to Ground Control ... get this!

“That’s the last damn time I get drunk and listen to Pink Floyd’s “Dark Side Of The Moon” in bed!”
©Copyright RCRUMPLE2012. All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment