Tuesday, February 26, 2013

From The Darkness Into Safety


See all 3 photos
Source: Stock Free Images
I've never worked so hard in my life!
It wasn't long ago I was a college instructor. It was an occupation that allowed me much freedom, yet, still participate in the politics of the university.
Don't think there's politics in departments? God, where have you been?
In fact, there's so much tail kissing necessary, one can only be assured of achieving tenure status if a tube of Chapstick is forever found in your pocket.
Still, the work wasn't difficult. Oh, I had a paper to complete to achieve my advanced status necessary for real job security, but I wasn't worried. It was almost complete and ready for final editing.
So, I spent my time mostly on the university commons, enjoying the fresh air and the young beauties roaming the area in their form fitting displays of modern fashion. No, I wasn't a pervert. I just appreciated the gifts that God and exercise presented to the eye. Hell, I'm a man, what do you expect?
I guess I'd fallen asleep one afternoon under a tree. When I awoke, the chill of the evening darkness was immediately felt, as well as, the ache in my neck. I must have fallen asleep on a root at some God forbidding angle and my neck had such pain that my head was sharing it, almost to the point of a migraine.
I needed to get home and take my migraine medicine.
Standing up, I stretched to the sky and gathered myself. An urge was suddenly present. After scanning the area, I visited a bush and took care of that. At least I wouldn't have to run home now!
Walking along the wooded path, I kept hearing something or someone close by. However, as I'd stop and turn, seeking out the noise maker, the darkness proved to be their friend and hid them well. Senses heightened, I proceeded down the path somewhat more cautious than at first.
Over and over again, the noises would start and stop in duplication of my own actions. I felt almost paranoid of being stalked. I even asked the darkness for an identity in the form of, "Who's There?"
Yet, no response was returned.
I increased my gait as I knew a main street was only a couple of minutes away. Under the streetlamps my follower could be seen and I could take the actions necessary to either protect myself or escape. However, I was aware that the next couple of minutes prior to getting to the street could be the prime area of an attack.
Still, I proceeded, now, almost at a run. My backpack rose and then pounded my back with each step taken. Sweat started running into my eyes as the chill of the evening was replaced with the strain of my muscles moving as they hadn't since my days in high school. My breathing was no longer quiet as it quickened and became a burning of the chest and a drying of the mouth. My head, still pounding, had decided to increase the pain level and my vision was beginning to get blurry. Yet, there were no options. I was the hunted. I had to reach safety.
There, just ahead, the lights of the street appeared. Not far. Just keep running a little longer. I can do it. I know I can. No one's going to get the better of me. I don't hear any sounds now. Maybe I've lost them. Maybe I am going to make it. Maybe, just maybe....
I'm there! I succeeded! I made it to the street!
Source: Stock Free Images
As my chest heaves the breath in and out, I lean over, hands on knees, feeling safe in the glow of the streetlight above. I can face my attacker, now. I'm not afraid if I can see it. I'm able to take care of myself!
And, then.... a scraggly dog comes out from the bushes. It looks at me and wags its tail.
Is this what I've been running from?
A wave of relief flows through my body. I even start to laugh a little, recognizing how ridiculous I've been. Me, an instructor, allowing my imagination to run wild and be afraid of the darkness like a small child would be. How ludicrous!
I hear a door sliding open and turn as the dog runs into a parked van next to me. A bright light shines from within and I'm immediately enveloped in a warm piercing mode of vagueness. It's as though the world around me no longer exists. I'm floating into a world of light. Beautiful light!
I awaken to see an alien flying craft rise and depart as it disappeared immediately from sight. A sharp crack is heard and my back arches in reaction to the pain it has just experienced. I turn and see a man dressed in strange garb striking others as he had me, and issuing what seemed to be orders in a strange language.
I won't bore you with the details that followed.
Let me just say that as an instructor of history, I had debated manpower and slave populations of the ancient Egyptians for years. I had never felt that the civilization had multiplied to supply the Egyptian pyramid slave needs of building the pyramids and other ancient wonders. I always felt that there had to be more to the story than what history was telling us.
Now, as the whips crack and the sweat rolls, I know where the Egyptian pyramid slave manpower came from.
I just don't have a class to teach it to!

Source: Stock Free Images
©Copyright RCRUMPLE2012. All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment