Tuesday, February 26, 2013

The Last Man (Suspense)


See all 2 photos
Source: Microsoft Images
I remember taking you to the playground. You enjoyed swinging high on the swings and riding around and around on the merry-go-round. Hours we'd spend, laughing and running around, until we'd both drop down into the grass, out of breath, giggling as we'd tickle each other in the ribs.
Your hugs were precious to me as your little arms encircled my neck and you whispered, "I love you" in my ear. I gently hugged you back as I didn't want to injure you by squeezing as much as I wanted. You were my child, a result of my love, a treasured part of what God had allowed to occur.
Just behind this playground was the baseball diamond I sat watching you run, catch, and bat. You hit many homers as you became quite the professional for your age. I always tried to sit right next to the first base you tagged so many runners out at. I know you heard my cheers each time you succeeded as you'd turn my way and tip your hat at me.
My heart was so filled with pride that I swore it would burst as your skills were fine tuned and you were named Most Valuable Player at the awards banquet. I gotta be honest, I almost cried that night as you received the trophy, but held back the tears so you wouldn't be embarrassed.
I sit here, in my boat, recalling the time you caught the big bass. You jerked the pole so hard that I was amazed that it held on, but it did. Finally, when the net fished it out of the lake, I had to calm you down. You were jumping around so much the boat nearly tipped over. For a teenager, you sure acted like a little kid that day. I loved every second of it. It showed me that no matter how old you got, you would always be my little boy.
Again, I nearly cried with joy, but I had to put on a show and keep the tears back. You were too old to cry for. It would only show my emotional weakness. Besides, someone had to catch another one so we'd have enough to eat that night at the campsite.
Source: Microsoft Images
I'm alone here. As I am everywhere.
I have no idea why the radiation from the meteor didn't affect me as it did everyone else. I'm not special, nor a super man by any means. All I know is that everyone is now dead, and to the best of my knowledge, I'm the only man left on Earth.
I tried calling you at your home, but there was no answer. I also tried your cell phone, but it wasn't answered either. Your mother is lying in the garden. I carefully dug up the lilies, buried her, and replanted the flowers above her. Every time I see them, I think of the love she gave us. So unconditional and cherished it was. I miss it so much. We always knew one of us would pass before the other, but neither of us though it would be this way. If I think too long about it, I'll probably want to cry. Can't do that. I need to be strong to survive.
I get along okay, I guess. The electricity went out a little over a week ago. No one around to get it working again, so, I spend my nights with the oil lantern, rocking in my chair, thinking about all the things that used to be so taken for granted.
I really don't miss many of them. Television had gotten kind of ridiculous and moronic, and most of the music played sounded the same. I kind of enjoy the peace and quiet. I just wish you or your mother was here to talk to. It gets kind of lonely.
Gotta be careful. I'm getting teary eyed again.
So, like I said, I'm out in the boat that you and I had so many good times in. The weather is kind of foggy. It's been that way ever since the meteor passed through the atmosphere. The fish aren't biting, if they're even alive. Haven't seen a bird or squirrel for a couple of weeks now. Don't know if the fish made it or not.
I'm sitting here, wondering why I was spared. No good reason for it. Makes no sense at all. All I know is that I miss you and your mom more than you'll ever know. Maybe you do know. Maybe you and her are up in Heaven looking down on me just waiting for the time that I say enough is enough and call it quits. Don't be sad. I don't want to see you cry for me.
I guess the gun still works. Haven't had a reason to try it out. Of course, I could always jump out of the boat and try to swim to shore. With my heart, there's no way I'd ever make it. I don't want to take a chance on God looking at it as suicide, though. No way! I don't want to do anything to keep us from being together again.
So, I'll probably just sit here a while. There's no place I've got to be any time soon. Kind of quiet here, just the water lapping up against the side of the boat. Gives a man a chance to think. Course, that's all I've done lately. Too much thinking will get to you.
Kind of makes you want to cry.

Author's Note

I started this thinking I'd do a Halloween story. So, I went to Microsoft Images and chose the above two pictures from the fog category. I sat down, and instead of a scary tale of sorts, the above flowed out of me in 90 minutes. I've learned that when things flow that well to go with it.
It wasn't my typical comedy style, not was it a Demon Cat tale. All I can say is that once I started, I didn't stop. You classify it!

©Copyright RCRUMPLE2012. All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment